Monday, May 08, 2006
5 Reasons to Love Anderson Cooper
1. His mother is Gloria Vanderbilt. Who knew? Our beloved news anchor speaking for the masses is one of New York's creme de la creme socialites' second son. It gives him a bit of an edge, wouldn't you say?
2. He knows how to make fun of himself. On Comedy Central's The Colbert Report, Anderson humbly mocked the false air of importance that accompanies most news anchors by showing his "moves" to Stephen Colbert such as unbuttoning his suit jacket and leaning in to his interviewee for emphasis. I'm not gonna lie, it was actually pretty sexy.
3. He dabbles as judge on Food Network's Iron Chef. Taking time out of his schedule of interviewing displaced Katrina victims to sample stuffed squid with braised napa cabbage and seared pancetta? You have to respect that type of joie de vivre.
4. The Vanity Fair article. A personable account on someone whose job is never to be personable, the article divulges the tormented history behind America's newly it-news anchor.
5. His eyes. Must we elaborate?
Final Word: Anderson Cooper is today's man. Smart, easy-going, vulnerable and complicated. What more could you ask for in a nation's newsman?