Thursday, February 08, 2007

The Best of Fashion Week

With the end of fashion week nearly approaching, here our top 5 picks of the season so far...not counting Mr. Posen who shows later this evening...



1. Derek Lam - This unapologetically sexy metallic minidress has all the right details. High neck, high hem and just enough gunmetal glam to keep under wraps of your new fall coat.






2. Peter Som – Ok, so it’s another gunmetal metallic piece, but I don’t care, I’m obsessed! Especially with the 1940s loose tie-front style covered by a subdued nubby cardigan. Perfection.







3. Thakoon – External stitching reminiscent of piping is a big trend we’ve seen on all the runways. It looks great here with the light gray and black contrast. I’ve seen a lot of coats as dresses this season, and I appreciate that concept a lot.










4. Marc Jacobs – So we all know we will be peeling off our layers to dress according to Marc and this is one standout look out of the star-studded collection. Tuxedo dressing was rampant on the runways, as was acidic doses of color.













5. Proenza Schouler – There was so much to choose from these boys but the best may be these wide-leg trousers paired with a fitted top in their signature corset tradition.










Final Word: Although my opaque stockings haven’t been knocked off, I’m pleased to see New York designers are making a concerted effort to push the boundaries a little. As the Times’ fashion editor Cathy Horyn said today, “Misguided though it may be, American fashion is not complacent.” You’re up Mr. Posen.

1 comment:

Rafe Totengco said...

I agree with all your choices although I only saw Peter's show live. I can't wait to see what Milan and Paris will show, to see if there are any common trend denominators. I must say I'm loving the 'details' shots of Elle more than Style.com.