Tuesday, April 17, 2007

If You Can't Save the World, Just Save Friday Nights

The tone amongst all of our girls has been the same lately, we want to go out, but we don’t know where to go. We are very much over our existing options, but at the moment no one seems to be bringing any new ones to the table.

I had a post about the dismal state of New York nightlife kicking around in my brain for a while, but knowing me, it was bound to become too long-winded, intense and hater-ious for anyone’s blog-reading pleasure, so I will do you the favor and spare you.

As another weekend approaches, the landscape looked bleak. Then I received the invitation above.

It just so happens that one of our friends is throwing a Villains & Heroes-themed birthday party at Arena on Friday, and I am all over it.

Normally, I would also hate on Arena (even though I have never been), but I am feeling particularly positive today, so I won’t. Plus, our boy DJ Berrie will be spinning so its bound to be a crazy dance party.

I should probably mention that back in the college days, The Blackberrie first made a name for ourselves by consistently hosting the craziest theme parties Boston had even seen, so we have a particular fondness for them.

Theme parties work for a few simple reasons:

In the too-cool-for-school society where kids constantly think they have somewhere better to be, theme parties keep the crowd focused, stationary. I mean, if your rocking devil horns and a cape (at the VERY least) chances are you are not going anywhere else.

In addition, putting on a costume only heightens the notion of escaping yourself and your daily life, which is pretty much the reason people go out and get drunk in the first place.

A foolproof approach in my book. Bravo to Will for stepping it up.

Final Word: One costume party will hardly cure New York of its slump. But there’s something to be said for creativity, however silly.

No comments: