Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Bag Lady


Everyone knows it's the year of the shoe. Balenciaga, Lanvin, Marni have all made fetish-worthy footwear with platforms so high and so ornate they're smashes on the runway and glossy pages alike. Yet all the while, has no one commented on how ridiculous this boot ballyhoo has become? After all, who can afford a $900 stiletto with no heel? Sadly we're not all Posh Spice. Still for the lot of us studying our Vogues, Bazaars and Elles for the past few months have been trained into believing 'it-bag' is a dirty word. "Personal style reigns!", the fashion elite continually decree, "The it-bag is dead!" Well in my case, it's about to be revived.

(Image Courtesy of Jakandjill.com)

I have officially fallen prey to my nasty bag-accumulation habit and have swooned for a satchel that is so discreet and so, dare-I-say-it, perfect that I may have a reason to splurge for spring. Proenza Schouler's PS1 bag embodies all things recession-chic (not literally of course, but what in fashion is ever literal?). Subtle in design and so simply supple it is perfect to wear every day without being untactful or tacky. Even the briefcase silhouette harks back to an austere and adult Mad Men-esque era when the important carried their papers and possessions in elegant encasements of leather and shiny gold hardware. If anything, this bag reminds me of a happier time when I was a little girl and used to sift through my father's cognac leather suitcase searching for stray mints. This time, rather than mints I search for my Parisian Marlboro lights (another nasty habit) and rather than classic cognac I'm privy to the sunny yellow shade that is sure to perk up these dreary depression-filled days.

Final Word: Available at Barneys and consequently the only thing on the first floor NOT on sale, I just must muster up courage to make a hefty purchase in the midst of economic crisis. Barneys, would you take a cue from Net-A-Porter and start brown-bagging it?

No comments: