Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Trip to Brazil


J Sisters. Spa. 57th Street between 5th and 6th Avenues.

I finally visited J. Sisters to experience their infamous Brazilian. With references from the likes of Vogue, New York Magazine and Bergdorf Blondes – how could I resist? Unfortunately my first attempt was foiled last month by the mass transit strike. Don’t people realize that a girl needs to get waxed?

When I finally arrived, I was a bit frazzled. The taxi cab took about a half hour through gridlock traffic from Union Square (no distance is too far in the name of beauty) and I entered the building on 57th street to find a dinky little elevator, or rather a door with an unidentifiable doorbell. Unsure I pressed it and waited as a slight screeching sound ensued, what I took to be an elevator descending. I wondered – do clients like Naomi Campbell and Gisele Bundchen really ascend the same death trap? I felt honored.

The two-story spa took me by surprise. Instead of an antiseptic white haven, I found an deteriorating luxurios interior that looked as if someone robbed the Versailles and replaced Louis XIV’s gorgeous furniture with paper covered medical tables and vats of wax. As I waited on a plush but eroding chaise, I gazed at the myriads of celebrity photos scribbled with doting words from the A-list clients.

“Beloved J. Sisters – you’ve changed my life!!!”
Signed Gwenyth. Wow. Life-changing? Really?

My woman, Joyce, was no-nonsense, quick and to the point – exactly what you want in your Brazilian practicioner. Not to say it wasn’t painful. It was. Thank god for Sarah MacLachlan’s soothing voice on the stereo; she’s probably the only person that could’ve soothed me at that point.

Then Joyce asked, “Lower?”

Lower? What does she mean, lower? My mind raced as to what she could possibly be asking. We were already at a point of extreme proximity, I couldn't possibly think of how much lower this woman could go!

As it were, she was asking my preference of Brazilian. An aesthetic choice if you will. I won’t bother you with the details.

Final Word: J. Sisters are truly the best. And dare I say, life-changing?

No comments: