Tuesday, March 07, 2006

You’re Mean, Jean




When I first saw this picture of Kate Moss I thought, “Wow, she’s really messing with us now.” And by us I mean "us", her loyal cadre of admirers who ooh and ahh her every outfit then replicate the next day before the masses. If Kate’s doing it, we’re trying to do it: Sass & Bide straight leg skinny jeans, check. Cropped leather vest, check. High-waisted straight leg denim with pockets and buttons, uh, uncheck.

If there’s one thing I’ll do for myself this season it’s think about the reality of my body type before I slip on a pair of ass and thigh highlighters such as the ones Ms. Moss recently donned on a night out in London. You see, there is a very visible fine line when it comes to fashion dos and don’t-ever-go-theres, and for that simple reason I’m sticking to my guns with this one. Some things are best left to the professionals.

The pants in question are by Ghost, part of their fall 2006 collection. And for the record I respect this look on the runway, would admire them in a fashion editorial, and of course love them on Kate. But the reality is I (and the rest of "us") have not been afforded the same genes as KM and therefore cannot afford to wear the same jeans as KM – simple as that.

And she knows it! I can almost see that catch-me-if-you-can smirk on her face as if to say, “try this one on for size, bitches!” For once the empress strikes back, advantage Kate.

Final word: What might look aiight on Ms. Moss may just be the worst outfit you’ve ever worn. And while I’d love to jump into a pair of these and prove even my worst inner critic wrong, I think this is one Mossfit I’m going to miss come fall.

No comments: